Saturday, August 20, 2016

GIFTS,Tools Not Rewards


Scripture: 1 Corinthians 12:1-11

         “Presents!” is what you will hear children (maybe even adults) proclaim when a holiday is being celebrated. Why do these children get these presents? Is it because they have obeyed perfectly all year long? Is it because they are good? No. They are given presents because the one giving them loves them. It brings great joy to the Giver. Moreover, it’s hoped by Christian people that the children will share these presents to bring joy to other children.
God gives His children (spiritual gifts) presents. Do we get these gifts because we have perfect faith and obedience? Is it because we merited goodness? No. God gives His children gifts because He loves them. He is sharing Himself with His children. Children of God desire and treasure imitating God (Ephesians 5:1) to the world, even in their spiritual gifts. When we focus on the gift given to us more than God, we are viewing them as a reward. However, when we focus on God and selflessly share the gift with others, we see the gift for what it is for— a tool. The gifts we are given are designed to display the One that has given them to us. It brings joy to a parent when a child is asked, “Who gave you that?” To which the child responds, “My Daddy! You want to play with me?” We do not have to guess how to use our gifts, because God tells us how to use them. He wills how they are used. God gave because of love and we share because to love. Since God loves sharing Himself with us, we should love sharing ourselves with others. We should proclaim to the world, “The Present!”

Daily Prayer:

         Father, first I declare and thank You that You have given me the gift of Yourself. With You comes all joy and delight. You have given me gifts, and I pray that I would use them to draw people to You and not me. May I be selfless in my sharing of my gifts. Today, may I use them according to Your will. Thank You and I love you. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Daily Challenge:

·       Do you know what your gifts are?
·       Use your gift to serve someone today.
·       Meditate on 1 Corinthians 12 today.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment