Thursday, August 4, 2016

Bible Study: The Path to Learning, Growing & Serving

Bible Study: The Path to Learning, Growing & Serving

Scripture: 2 Timothy 2:15

The Bible is to the believer what physical food is to the body. Physical food nourishes the body and the Bible nourishes the spirit of the Christian. There are two aspects to a believer’s relationship to the Bible. First, we read the Bible for inspiration. Second, we study the Bible for direction. Someone has said, and I think rightly so, “We don’t read the Bible; it reads us.” Everyone needs inspiration to spur us on during times of discouragement, disappointment, and seeming defeat. Scripture is there for us during those times with stories of people just like us who faced life as we are living it and how they overcame. These accounts are there to inspire us to go forward in life as those biblical believers did. Additionally, we need to study the scriptures for direction. That is why Paul encouraged Timothy to study the Bible. Many times we face situations and circumstances in life with no clue as to what to do. If we have been careful and consistent in our Bible study, the Holy Spirit will bring to our remembrance the biblical direction we should take. That is what Psalm 119:105 says so clearly, “Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path.” We live in a world with many educated, qualified, and well-meaning counselors, in whom we do well to listen, but in the final analysis the question is always, “God, what do You say about this matter?”

Daily challenge:
Today I will structure my time in order to read and study Your Word.

Prayer:

Heavenly Father, thank You for Your Word. As I read it today, let it read me. I will draw strength today from scripture to inspire me that I am surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses who demonstrate that I can lay aside every encumbrance and sin which so easily could entangle me, and I can run with endurance today the race that is set before me, by fixing my eyes on Jesus, the Author and Finisher of faith (Hebrews 12:1-2). And, Father, as I study Your Word today, may I glean truths and principles that will guide my life today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment